A Brief Summary of Census India: Facts on Population, Cities and District Demographics

October 22nd, 2009

District Census india PopulationCensus India: The Population and the People
Are you interested in knowing the facts about India but don’t have the time to read through an entire census report? Then you’ve come to the right place. We’ve summed up the basics of Census India and provided all the information you want to know without the information that you don’t.

So whether you are doing a school report, thinking about taking a trip to India, or are simply just curious in the demographics of one of the world’s most populated and fascinating countries, you don’t need to look any further.

The India Census is taken every decade beginning in 1881. The census used in the below facts and figures are from the 14th complete census which was taken in 2001. However, some of the population numbers have been estimated based on the population growth trends of the past and present.

India is made up of 1.15 billion people. The number is an estimate for 2008 based on the 2001 census report. 80 percent of these people are Hindu with the remaining 20 percent comprising of Muslims, Christians, Sikhs and Buddhists. There are 1.12 males to every female and 65 percent of the population are between the ages of 15 and 64.

There are thousands of different languages and dialects spoken in India. However, the most common include Hindi, Bangla, Punjabi and Telugu. While these languages are most often spoken, English is still considered an official language and used at the federal level.

There are several different categories of ethnic groups in India including Indo-Iranian people, European/Eurasian people and Tai people. The list of ethnic groups is extensive to say the least.

Census India: District Information
India is made up of 28 different states and 7 union territories. This list includes Utter Pradesh, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh, which are the top seven most populated states. These seven states hold more than 50 percent of the countries’ population.

Census India: Your City Guide
Like most countries, the most populated places in India are the cities. In fact, 72 percent of the population live in over 640,000 different villages throughout the country. The remaining 28 percent live in rural towns and communities.

The most populated cities in India are Mumbai, Delhi, Kokata, Chennai, Benglaluru and Hyderabad. The first four have a population of over 23 million people each. The larger cities are well developed and quite industrial. Delhi is home to a number of historical monuments. Mumbai, which is the most populated city in India is poverty-stricken on the outside. However, there are commercial, financial and entertainment areas of Mumbai; you just need to know where to look. Mumbai is also considered the Hollywood of India with many movies being produced in this city.

India has plenty to explore in each and every city and from the above numbers, it’s easy to understand why there is such cultural diversity in India.